Today was one of those days that required a phone call home to Dad. I'll spare the details, but things were not good today, personally or professionally. I was confused, overwhelmed, exhausted. It was one of those moments when I was truly not sure if I was in the right or wrong, if I was walking forward or turning squarely behind. In this low moment, I called my Dad. Calling Dad is like drinking clear, cold spring water. He helped me clear my head, recognize my strengths and gain perspective I desperately needed. He reminded me that though I am living in a crazy place where tension and panic surrounds me every day, I have the insight and experience to deal with it. I have lived a life that has instilled in me the tools I need to weather this storm. I am capable, rational and able to pull apart the truth from the rumor, the danger from the panic, the reality from the hype. I needed to hear that from my Dad; I needed a little faith that I was on the right track. I got just what I needed, and between my Dad and few glasses of good wine, I am going move forward with confidence.
I feel so blessed to have my Dad, my Mom, and all my friends and family back home. Over the last few days I have many conversations with my loved ones back home that I desperately needed to have. I am SO LUCKY to have so many people willing to drop what they are doing to listen, reflect and support. It's been a tough week but boy, oh boy, am I a happy girl tonight. I couldn't ask for a better support system, either here in Venezuela or back home in the US. I know no matter what Venezuela brings me, I am going to take it in stride. On the eve of my thirtieth birthday, I feel that I am where I am supposed to be and there is nothing life can hand me that I will not overcome. What a wonderful feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment