I am happy to report that things seem to be returning to normal here. Given the situation, things could obviously change on a dime, but we have had regular school for seven days in a row, so I am optimistic that the worse is behind us. The government continues to behave at though they have created a paradise that is being mercilessly attacked by crazy fascists, and the the opposition continues to complains loudly (and by banging pots) that Maduro is a dictator and Venezuela is akin to the seventh circle of hell. I, on the other hand, continue to go on ignoring all of them and praying that someone with an ounce of foresight and leadership does something productive...or at least something more productive than building barricades or calling everyone fascists.
Meanwhile, life has gone on rather uneventfully. I started going to physical therapy for my knees. They haven't been worse than usual, but I realized I could go see really great PT's for $5 a session, so I figured I would take advantage of the opportunity. I am really enjoying my sessions, for both the physical benefits and the psychic benefits of getting out of my neighborhood once and a while. This week, they are also helping me with my back, which I totally nailed slipping down a set of stairs WHILE SOBER on Saturday. Today I nailed my arm on a doorknob, so I basically look like I have been beaten by the Guardia Nacional and I feel like it too. Ivan is constantly saying to me "Take care of my girlfriend! Please!" When am I going to outgrow awkward?
Despite my various scrapes, I was very pleased today because we had, for the first time since last Tuesday, water in our apartments. Apparently, a huge water pipe burst under a barrio last week and it cut off water to half the eastern part of the city until today. Given the general mismanagement here, I was expecting the water to be out for quite a bit longer, so needless to say I am THRILLED to report that I am doing laundry right now! Additionally, Ivan installed better internet in my house, so the swiftness of my internet today is making me doubly happy. Finally, because of my faster internet speed, my computer FINALLY finished downloading the 24 episodes of Law and Order SVU that Mr. Grahame Burke dropped for me, so I am going to grab myself some peanut butter eggs that my boss brought back from the states and snuggle into bed to watch some SVU! This is definitely the best Monday I've had in a while! Peanut butter, internet, water? It's amazing how little it takes now to make me happy! It's incredible how we adapt to our circumstances. But hey, I have always loved the little things in life. So, now all I need is milk and toilet paper and I'll be in heaven!
No comments:
Post a Comment