March 26, 2014

Break's a comin'

Caracas continues to go on day by day normally but with an air of anticipation. It's like no one trust the normalcy; people look warily around, waiting for an explosion. So far, the last two weeks has brought mainly calm. There are still some random disruptions, like today when people blocked the entire autopista during the rush hour in order to protest. You know, NBD. I was in my physical therapy appointment and my PTA couldn't get there. She finally arrived as I was leaving, over two hours late. My substitute PTA Shirley, simply said "Es la vida en Caracas- It is the life in Caracas." Indeed, it is the life we lead- constant uncertainty.

I am noticing that the constantly living on edge thing is effecting me differently that I expected. I expected to get all anxious again, like I was in DC, complete with TMJ, trouble sleeping and mild depression. I have not had any such symptoms. Instead, I find myself to be way more aggressive, angry and defensive than what is my usual. It's uncomfortable, carrying around anger like that- I can't decide what is worse, the anxiety or the anger. I chalk it up to rhetoric going around Venezuela right now.  All the talk about fascists and dictators and such keeps everyone on the defensive and looking for someone to point fingers at. Even though I live my life as normally as ever, the friction permeates the air and clearly has gotten under my skin.

Given this tense situation, I am looking forward to some of our travels coming up. Tuesday is my birthday and the following weekend my friends from work, Ivan, his Mom and I are flying to Los Roques for the weekend- I couldn't be more stoked. Then, one more week of work and we're off for spring break to Ecuador! Lots of good times ahead and a much needed break from the Caracas craziness! 

No comments: