New Orleans you
Are a blessing
And a curse.
You with your beads
Stuck in my heel.
Your jazz
Forever in my ear.
No, I said.
Leave me in peace.
Let me live my life impervious
To your
Free. Love. Booze. Swing. Thing.
Let me keep
The straight and the narrow.
Let me live my life unchallenged
By your sweet bayou sway.
Sweet Jesus, show me your mercy.
Take this Cajun drum beat sweet rhythm heat
Off of my brain.
Good lord, show me your grace.
Take from me these Creole love sweat swaying toe-tappin feet.
I have lost my way entirely.
Because you, New Orleans, wrecked my plans
So well made
For a life unfettered by change.
If you take me, take me whole.
Drown me in the Pontchartrain.
Smother me with Spanish moss.
Take me down with a pair of dueling pianos
And a round of purple haze.
I cannot defeat you,
God knows how I've tried.
You've cast your hook into me,
For years now I've writhed,
On your hook, your unyielding line.
Pull me in, I'm done resisting.
I am ready, reel me in.
You are the curse that once betrayed me,
Now be the force that won't forsake me.
No comments:
Post a Comment