We've taken the bike out to the burbs of San Jose a time or two now with no incidents. Despite my naysaying, we haven't dropped her yet. We also still haven't decided on a name, so she will continue being "the baby". After my first practice session I have yet to try to drive her again myself. Ivan has gotten so comfortable on it that for the meantime I think that I am just going to backseat drive. We are hoping to take a trip to one of the closer beaches in the next few weekends!
Speaking of beaches, we are looking forward to a number of beach trips in the coming weeks. Tomorrow we are heading out with a few friends to Esterillos Oeste, a small, tucked-away beach about two hours from San Jose. This is the beach that all the teachers who have been here for a while rave about. The second weekend of September, we are road tripping to Guanacaste, the peninsula on the pacific side where most of the famous tourist beaches are, for the Tamarindo Marathon. We've rented a very nice house that sleeps 12 and while Ivan and others run anywhere from 5km to a marathon, I will be waking up late and meandering to the finish line to cheer them on! The last weekend of September I am REALLY excited because SARAH LINKE SKANCKE IS COMING TO VISIT ME. I've taken a Friday off of work and she and I are going for a weekend escape! I could not be more excited to host one of my dearest and oldest friends as my first guest! She has also promised to be my pack mule so I am thrilled to get magic erasers and peanut butter. At least now I don't have to request toilet paper.
School is going GREAT. I LOVE my job and my department. I am so enjoying getting to know the students. They are really wonderful young people. I got a great surprise this week as well when the assistant principal for the secondary school came into my office and asked if I would be the speaker for the senior awards ceremony! He said that the administration thought that I would be a good choice because of my "energy". Guess they have me pegged already! I was honored to be asked and I am excited to write my speech. I have also been excited to teach the 10th grade advisory class about character and careers. We have had some amazing discussions on character qualities, growth mindset and grit. The kids have really taken to it and it makes me so happy to help students engage with this content. My favorite comment so far came from a shy 10th grade boy whom I heartlessly called on as he was obviously trying to make himself as small as possible in his desk in the back of the classroom. I had asked the question "how do we define character" and had some good responses but none that really nailed it. So I called on Mr. Back Seat Hider and after a minute of reflection (or sheer fear) he said "Character is how people remember you." Boom. I was floored. Did I mention I love my job?
I also love getting to know the new cohort of people I came here with as well as the returning teachers. Living in the compound is really expediting the "getting to know you" process. As in, last night, we were having happy hour in one of the girl's apartments when we realized that Rob, the token single straight guy of the building, had a girl coming over for a date. So of course we all descended upon his apartment to help him clean it and hang pictures before her arrival. And then we accidentally spilled a huge glass of red wine all over the floor. Poor Rob. But in all seriousness, everyone is so nice and accepting. I know this because I was supposed to go out with a lot of the crew last night and instead fell asleep with all of my going out clothes on at 9:30 and no one gave me a hard time. Pura Vida, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment