August 22, 2015

Routines are a Good Thing

Another week in the books and the settling in process continues to go smoothly. We GREATLY enjoyed our trip to Esterillos Oeste last weekend. The beach was practically deserted. I know it's rainy season but still! The beach itself is very wide and very very long, so the few people who were there could spread out from each other nicely. We enjoyed a lively game of three-on-three two hand touch football on the beach and some frolicking in the waves. The pacific beaches are quite wavey so swimming isn't always an option, but I have been told that the seasons effect the waves quite a bit. The high of the day's activities was listening to Ivan explain why football should not be called football, as he (correctly) pointed out that the ball is rarely kicked and in fact the ball isn't shaped like a ball. His suggestion is that we change the name from football (which confuses the Latinos anyways because futbol to them is soccer) and instead call American football "egg arm", because you are using your arm to throw an egg-shaped ball. Of course. 

At school, we had back to school night and I got to meet some of my students' parents. So far, everyone seems quite nice. I am still waiting for "but" to come in at some point, however, so far everything at work is going along busily and swimmingly. 

Back at the compound, we are easing into some enjoyable weekly routines. On Fridays, we have continued the trend of having small parties to celebrate the end of the week. This week, we  had some rousing games of Bananagrams and Cards Against Humanity. On Fridays, Michelle and I also roll down to the community center near our apartments for a free Zumba class. It's so enjoyable. The people are so nice, there are kids running around and no one is showing up looking all pretentious with matching spandex and diamond earrings. It's a great way to close the work week out. On Saturdays, we hit the market. I am getting really good at shopping at the market, knowing what to get and how much to get. Nothing has gone to waste yet so I am pleased with my process so far. Today at the market, I met a lovely Venezuelan father and son pair because I was wearing my Magallanes hat. The Magallenes are my favorite Venezuelan baseball team and the father was wearing the rival team's hat! They were so nice and I so enjoyed meeting them. Ivan says it's sad I am meeting all the nicest Venezuelans not in Venezuela. 

Tomorrow Ivan and I are excited to join a scooter gang that travels around on Sunday mornings to visit nice places outside of San Jose. Ivan found them on Facebook and is really pumped to talk scooters with the gang members. I told Ivan that this gang isn't going to be nearly as cool as my Grandfather's biker gang. Scooters can't top a bunch of old guys on Harleys! But then again, I have never heard of a scooter gang so this could prove interesting. Either way, it will be a great little adventure to close out our fifth week in Costa Rica! 

No comments: