I feel the need to address the scarcity issues in my current homeland. I thank Anne for sharing with me the pithy blog TheSkimm that regularly and with great humor covers the goings ons here in Venezuela. I know that many other media outlets also cover the situation here, though less blithely and often with a political sway that lands squarely in the ideological right and over-top a puddle of oil.
I mean, I'm not ignorant. I live here for heavens sake. Shit is not good. The government is run by people who are blind to everything except their own self-interest and their beloved new age socialism. That blindness has unfortunately manifested into a full blown economic war, and everyone is a soldier, because everyone is affected. I'm trying hard not to be political here, but there really is blood on everyone's hands. Every side is guilty, because they are all putting being right above human rights, and when there are hospitals without gauze and grocery stores without milk, toilet paper, sugar and oil, then it's clear that something is not working right. And while the opposition is blaming the government, and the government is blaming the Empire, I am literally playing hookie from work to elbow my way through a crowd to shamelessly grab a carton of milk.
After I got my crate of 12 liters of long life milk, I smugly rode the bus home and when I got to school, I gave away half of it. It was literally like I was handing out gold. People were so grateful and appreciative. For me, it was paying it forward, because who knows when I will be out of toilet paper and need a kind donation from a friend. This is the game we play here. We are ready for any basic good to go AWOL at any moment. If we know we can't live without it, we buy it in bulk. And when we get caught with our pants down, we rely on each other's generosity to get us through. It's people helping people. So when my friend who works in the Catina got wind that a milk shipment was in the store, I didn't hesitate. It was my moment to help out. With my bosses blessing of course. I was like " OMG KELLY THERE'S MILK I'M GOING!" and she smiled and waved and sent me on my way.
Really though, most of the time I stay blithely unaffected by the majority of the swings in supplies. I don't cook, so only when toilet paper or milk or beer goes scarce do I feel the pangs. Thus, I currently have eight liters of milk, 30 beers, and two bags of coffee and toilet paper in my house, just waiting to weather the storm. And thankfully, I have the money to pay for any good I want when I happen to stumble upon it. I'm middle class here though, and many people aren't so lucky. They can't leave work or don't have the resources to buy in bulk. They are the ones we all should pray for, because there is no light at the end of the tunnel here. And while I am voyeuring in this country and have the opportunity to escape every holiday, others can't. And unfortunately, I can't import milk and toilet paper from the US. My suitcases simply aren't big enough.
So what's the answer here? I had a really neat conversation with my juniors earlier this week, where they used two economic models to explain to me why I can't find milk. They had great ideas on how to improve the situation, valid ideas with a solid economic foundation. And what's more, they want things to change. The problem is they are leaving. And so is everyone else with a dollar and prayer. There is an exodus of intellect in this country. The people with the will and means and mind to change things are getting the hell out of here. They want to stay- they want to help, but the situation is too dire. Their best option is to get out, get established elsewhere, and come back when the situation is less grim. And I can't fault them for it, because I don't know what critical mass it would take to incite positive change. Nor do I know what theory or political bent would be best suited to fix the situation. But what I do know is that this country has so much to offer this world. There are brilliant, wonderful people who should be proud to call themselves Venezolanos. These are just dark times- the country is struggling through a very troublesome adolescence, and it's reputation is nearly irrefutably tarnished. The best I can do as an appreciative expat is dig my heels in and focus on the positive, because there is so, so much positive. The people of this country are incredibly resilient, not to mention kind, giving, fun-loving and friendly. I have no doubt that Venezuela will overcome this, if no other reason than sheerly on the will of her people. And in the meantime, I have shit ton of beer, milk and toilet paper in my apartment and when I come home for Christmas, it's Starbucks EVERY DAY for me! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment