October 1, 2013

A short post complaining about politics

Politics has been the name of the game today. Yesterday, Maduro expelled three US diplomats for "bribing companies to cause shortages" as well as sabotaging the electric grid, by which I assume he means that the US is ostensibly responsible for last month's major blackout.  Meanwhile, the US government shut down today because congress can't agree on health insurance.  F-ing health insurance.  People in this country are happy when their hospitals have gauze and plastic gloves and bandaids.  Also meanwhile, the inflation on the Bolivar is soaring, with the black market exchange being more than seven times higher than the official, meaning that the haves and have nots are getting more and more disparate.  It is dark economics times, my friends. I can see why we have beer shortages in this country so regularly. There is a lot to forget about.  I wonder sometimes if anyone is immune to the corruption that comes with money and power, and if there is anyone who truly can set aside personal interests for the greater good. Obviously, my current country and my home country could not be more different, but I think I'll find there is more overlap than there appears at first glance. I look forward to learning more...which hopefully won't entail watching the utter economic collapse of either of my countries.....

No comments: