September 26, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

I cannot get a grip on how busy I have been since I arrived in this country.  The social opportunities abound, and between activities, working out, Spanish lessons and squeezing in a Skype convo here and there, I haven't even had time to watch a movie since I arrived here.  I've gotten in two episodes of SVU, and that was the day I took off from work because of stomach parasites. Please know, gentle readers, this is NOT a complaint, just a pleasant yet somewhat exhausting surprise. I also promised myself before I came here that  I would not say no to social invitations, a self-promise I have stuck to pretty religiously.  For example, this past Monday I was invited to the celebration of Saudi Arabia's national day.  Saudia Arabi has never been occupied, so instead of an independence day, they have a National Day, and since the son of the Saudi Arabian ambassador attends our school, anyone who teaches him was invited.  So into the van twelve of us piled and headed to one of the fanciest hotels in Caracas- the Gran Melia. The event was like a wedding reception.  There were people milling about awkwardly and making small talk in cocktail attire, surrounded by a freaking arsenal of food, which centered around a large ice sculpture of an eagle surrounded by cakes in the middle of the room.  After a long speech from the ambassador, which was in Arabic and translated into Spanish which I obviously did not understand and instead stared longingly at the sushi, Gordon, Ivan and I divided and conquered the food.  We split up and came back with plates to share, culminating in a death by dessert plate that we had no chance of actually finishing.  The whole shindig was done by 9, and I learned later that many embassies have their celebrations on weekdays from 7-9pm.  But hey, that means I will hopefully get more free dinners, which I am never going to pass up!

On Wednesday, Ivan, Walli and I saw another Venezuelan music concert.  This one was just two instruments- an electric bass and a Cuatro, which is basically a small guitar with four strings.  It was an amazing show- I was just blown away by what a variety of sounds that could come from just two instruments, and how rich the music was.  Boot camp on Tuesday and Spanish lesson plus a really great Skype convo with my Mom tonight rounded out my week.  

While I am having the time of my life, I wish I had more time to keep up with everyone.  I am starting to feel rather guilty that I have not gotten to catch up with many of my friends and family the way I would like to.  I also feel more homesick when I am not up to date on what is going on with everyone!  So if you are reading this, know that you are loved and please, don't hesitate to reach out!  I absolutely live for the catch up emails and Facebook messages I get from time to time.  It really makes my whole week to hear from people.

My communication skills are only going to get worse over the next two weeks too, because from October 5th-12th I am going to Angel Falls!  I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED!  Gordon, Walli, Jackie and I are taking a seven day trip to the Falls, with quite a few other stops along the way.  Before I leave I will post our final itinerary so yall can follow along!  I'll make sure that I take many many pictures and will write extensively about it when I get back.  I have to say I am pretty proud of how much of this country I am seeing in just the short time I have been here.  I wanted to suck the marrow out of this experience and gosh darn it I am doing it!  Now if I only I could get a little more sleep....:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog! I miss you terribly, but am so excited that you are having a great time!