March 8, 2010

Love Gifts


I remember the first time I fell in love with Palak Paneer.  It was out of a box.  My boyfriend at the time made it for me.  
It was a Love Gift.  Here's the thing.  There are hundreds of new things we encounter every day.  So many things, in fact, we often don't remember how or who or what introduced us to the given novelty.  Who knows the first time you had pineapple on pizza or watched a Tarintino film?  Unless it was a Love Gift.  Love Gifts are the little novelties brought to you by someone you love and often will remember forever.
Now, I admit, there are some Love Gifts you don't want to get, like herpes or the knowledge of how to file a Child Protective Services report.  But barring these unfortunate exceptions, Love Gifts are pleasant reminders of the love we have felt, even when the person we loved may be gone from our lives.
I am grateful for my Love Gift of Palak Paneer.  Thanks, Siri.  And thank you Christina for The Grizzly Man.  Metallica, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Toby Keith, Walnut Creek Park, How to Drive a Motorcycle, Bel Air Market Coffee, Pig Candy, 100 Years in Solitude, Trader Joes, Freezer MacnCheese>Boxed MacnCheese, How Far Dupont is From Georgetown, Whiskey and Ginger ale, The Fact That I Am An Ambidextrous Fork User. 
Love Gifts teach us one, very powerful, very novel lesson: how to love.  The best Love Gift of all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you. Even more than pig candy.