I have to give a hand then to human ingenuity. At some point, somebody really smart said "Hey, let's make the new year a holiday. And to celebrate, let's get rip-roaring drunk. And then, let's not go into work the next day." Brilliant. Think about it- it's a nearly world wide boozefest. And if I could move the pumpkin pie from thanksgiving to New Years, I would be in absolute heaven.
The only downside is, of course, the resolutions. Judging by the gym today, the resolution-making aspect of new years is certainly holding its own. But like I said, it's just another day. The only resolution I ever feel like making on January 1 is to never drink as much as I did on December 31st ever ever again.
I guess people like the idea of having the chance to clean their slate. From what I have seen of humanity, there seems to be a draw to starting over. When a relationship ends or a job is lost, people find a bright side in the "fresh start". People move across the country- or across the world- just to feel like they can totally "start over".
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to want to start over, or to recommit oneself to personal betterment. In fact, I think there should be more of this sort of commitment, and that it should happen everyday. What's wrong with waking up literally everyday and wiping the slate clean? Each day is a new opportunity to be a better person. Whether it's June 12th or January 1st doesn't matter- it's just a day after all.
So in honor of new years, I guess I'll just give in and make a resolution. I resolve to make a fresh start every day of 2010. And I resolve to forgive myself if I royally f-up, because I'll have the next day to start over. I hope you, gentle reader, will think of doing the same. And thus, I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes. Cheers, my friends, to a bright new year.
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow". -Mary Anne Radmacher
No comments:
Post a Comment