November 9, 2015

Blogger fail

I feel like such a terrible blogger. Ever since this time last year, my enthusiasm and interest in blogging went down the tub. Don't get me wrong: I love the idea that I can communicate with many people at once about my goings ons. In fact, I feel quite guilty when I don't blog simply because I know some of you are actually interested in how I am doing south of the border. However, I am finding it harder and harder to carve out the time to blog, and then so much happens that to blog about it all would be overwhelming. Sigh. Indeed, in my former life, writing about my thoughts, feelings and activities was a much needed outlet. Now, it has strangely become just another thing to do. I wonder where my deep longing to engage with the written word has run off to. Will it ever return? I hope so. Otherwise the dramatics of my 20's will be the pinnacle of my sad literary career. 

Meanwhile, gentle readers, I leave you two things: a quick synopsis of my current life and a reflective entry from a long-forgotten post in my Facebook notes from 2008. 

First: synopsis. Work is going well. Still travelling some but the initial fervor has died down a bit. Looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with some work friends in a sick house on the beach with an infinity pool. Also looking forward to coming home for Christmas! Ivan is in week three of a great new job with Experian! He's doing what he wants to be doing and we are both very happy that he is gainfully employed. Everyone is happy and healthy in my world, missing autumn and all pumpkin flavored things but totally overjoyed not to be cold. 

Second: Throwback to 2008, reminding me that my reflections then were eerily relevant to my future some years later, as well as in 2008, apparently. 


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.


When I read poetry, it makes me realize how little humanity has changed over time. Maybe Frost didn't have to deal with rush hour traffic or stock options, but the basic struggles he faced were the same that we do today. Frost wonders- where do I go from here? Faced with a decision, Frost knows that there is no turning back once a decision is made. On that fateful morning, Frost wonders do I take the road less traveled?

We all have those sort of mornings. We wake up and say "is that what I want to be doing? Have I traveled the right path?". I woke up one morning in late March and asked myself the same question- was I happy with the road I was traveling?

The answer, I found, was no. And so I found myself standing on a precipice. Do I take the road I planned or do I seek another road? At first, I didn't think there was another road. But after looking for a bit I found it- a grassy, limb-covered road that I never would have found without looking for it. So there I was, just like Frost, facing two roads. One was the road I decided for myself two years ago that was preened and clear from years of mental contemplation. The other road, the new road, was scary. I knew very little about it or where it would lead.

I took the road less traveled. With one foot in front of the other, I started down a new road and I don't know where each turn will bring me. But despite the unfamiliar landscape, I wake up each morning happy with the decision I made. Because of that, I muster up a little faith and continue my journey.


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments: