July 16, 2015

A New Adventure Awaits!

As you will notice, gentle reader, my blog name has changed. Pura Vida: My Adventures in San Jose, Costa Rica. Indeed a new adventure is about to begin. My time in Caracas has ended and I am off to greener pastures (literally greener- Costa Rica is the third most green country in the world according to EcoWatch). 

I am not going to lie: I am in a glass cage of emotion right now. The excitement is of course overwhelming. I am understandably nervous about starting over in a new place. But surprisingly, I am feeling quite homesick as well. When I left for Caracas, I was certainly excited and nervous, but (sorry mom) not even the slightest bit homesick. I was ready for a change, ready to see the world and ready to chart a new course. Now that I am a seasoned traveler, I am starting to feel those pangs of guilt and sadness for being away from home so much. Surprisingly I am not all that sad about missing the food (though I do miss Chic-Fil-A). I miss my family and friends, the land, the familiarity of it all. Most of all I miss having unrushed time to just be present with people. When I come home twice a year, it's such a rush, a blur, a squeeze trying to get as much time in with as many people as possible. 

Perhaps as I become a more seasoned traveler I will also become more efficient with my visits home. Also easing my suffering is the fact that I will be in a place where people will not only be able to visit me, but will also want to visit me! :) Everyone is invited! And truly, I am not ready to hang up my expat hat anytime soon. I spent my twenties looking to stability. It suddenly hit me at 28 that I had moved 12 times in 13 years and maybe my quest for stability was an ill-advised pursuit. Embracing my inner nomad was the best thing I have ever done. Looking back on the last two years, all I can compare it to is a zipper: it is like watching everything about my life fall into perfect sync. 

I realize that some of you did not get a rushed meal or phone call with me this summer, so I should probably run down my plans so we are all on the same page.

The first and most important aspect of my new adventure is that I am lucky and blessed enough to have a travel partner! Ivan Vasquez, my incredible (and by incredible, I mean incredibly patient, understanding and adventurous!) boyfriend will be accompanying me to San Jose. He is my rock and my very own superhero. I am so excited to continue our relationship in a new place and without a doubt it makes moving and adjusting so much less jarring. His Spanish will undoubtedly come in handy too, as will his knack for talking me off self-created emotional ledges. 

I will be working at Lincoln School, an international school located in north San Jose on the border of Heredia. I will be one of two College Counselors in the College Counseling department. I had the wonderful opportunity to visit in March and I love the school, my co-worker Monica is really the best person I could ever hope to work with and the students seem very motivated and kind. Just to clear up any doubt: THIS IS MY DREAM JOB.

Ivan and I will be living in a small (538 square feet, god help us) apartment approximately four kilometers from school. It is walking distance to pretty much everything we need and the school bus will take me too and from school. We are probably going to get some bikes and a moped for transportation. 

Along with successfully transitioning to a new country and new jobs, our goals are the following: hike volcanoes, surf the Caribbean and pacific, actually recycle consistently, join the San Jose Hash House Harriers and find a place in our 538 square foot apartment to hang our hammock. 

To those of you I missed this summer: I appreciate your patience. I also appreciate calls, texts, emails, Whatsapp messages, Vibes, Skype calls and Facebook pokes. Even if we haven't talked in years, it's always a joy to hear from you, so never hesitate just to say hey. Or visit. Seriously, you are all invited! 

No comments: