August 9, 2013

La Fin de Semana

Gracious dios es viernes!  Thank God it's Friday!  The kids have officially started school and us newbies, along with our more seasoned counterparts, all survived the first couple of days.  My school is really a phenomenal place.  The staff is incredibly knowledgeable and professional; I am wowed on an almost hourly basis by their expertise, creativity, professionalism and zest with which they do their jobs.  I am so lucky to be here. It is sometimes intimidating to be around so many incredible educators.  My principal is literally an educational rockstar- I've never seen someone multitask quite like her- and she does it with a grace and fortitude that can only be cultivated by years of doing everything with absolutely nothing.  I have so much to learn and so much to do, and while it is going to be stressful and I am going to make mistakes (correction: make A LOT of mistakes), this will be an incredible professional journey for me.  

I am encouraged by some of the veteran teachers, who have told me that this batch of newbies have brought with us an energy and positivity that has been warmly appreciated among the staff.  Venezuela is not an easy place to live.  It is not always an easy place to stay positive.  I am happy we can bring that energy, and I hope we can still keep our chins up when some of the more manic parts of life here start to wear on us. 

Even though I blog regularly, I feel that I can't blog enough.  Everyday something new, funny, endearing or strange happens, and all of it warrants comment.  Maybe I am just long winded (correction: I am long winded), but truly, there is just so much worth sharing. Like today, I gave a wonderful lesson to the ninth grade class, and they were so clever and thoughtful and patient when I talked too fast*.  And yesterday, I employed my first ever cleaning lady!  It was amazing to come home to a house so spotless- I could never hope to accomplish such spotlessness in a million years.  What was less nice was not being able to find my expresso maker or anything else in my kitchen, but I will gladly accept her kitchen cabinet organizational method in exchange for how shiny she somehow makes my floors.  However, I will have to figure out how to say in Spanish the following: "Martha, my friend, red wine does NOT NOT NOT go in the fridge!"..."Martha, mi amiga, el vino tinto no no no va en la refrigerador!"...or something to that effect.  Also yesterday I went on my first adventure by myself.....to the Centro next door to get my nails done.  The adventure ended with pretty nails, a few new friends, and the very important knowledge that one should NOT wear a dress when getting a pedicure.  I'll leave that tidbit to your imagination but suffice to say the pedicure system is a little different here than in the US.

I don't know if there is an old saying to this effect, but if there's not, I'll take the credit.

Many little adventures can add up to a lifetime of sheer joy.

--- Anonymous and slightly naive twenty-something gringa

I wish I could harness my curiosity and excitement and keep it with me for the lower times, for there surely will be the lower times. And like I said, I wish I could share ALL of it, ALL the time, with ALL of you. Instead. I'll have to be content with this paltry blog.  

Pero, esta bien.  Es la fin de semana y vida es buena.  

No comments: